Strengths and Weaknesses of Studying Art History
Everything in life has its pluses and minuses and that includes studying art history. If you plan to study art history, this article outlines some merits and demerits you may find useful. Before we get into that, let’s define art.
What is Art?
Ask 10 people what art is and you’ll get 10 different answers. Some even say art cannot be defined. We define art as the conscious process of combining elements to create visual, literary, and performing arts by expressing human thoughts, emotions, and imaginations.
There are millions of arts from different cultures and historical periods, hence, the need for studying art history.
What are the pros of studying art history?
- It offers a great opportunity to acquire the required skills for liberal arts education such as critical reading and writing.
- Through learning their arts, you will gain knowledge of several cultures and traditions around the world.
- It provides exposure to other subjects in the humanities, using them to critically evaluate several artworks and then draw reasonable conclusions.
- Every form of art tells a story and the process of learning will make you see beyond artworks and be able to interpret encrypted messages in them.
- It makes you interact and appreciate nature more as some works of art are inspired by nature.
- One obvious demerit of studying art history is job prospects. If you didn’t attend a top school, it may be a little difficult unless you finish grad school.
- You may not make a lot of money if good opportunities don’t come your way.
- Lack of recognition from the media and family who may see art history as a worthless major.
- If you take out loans to fund your degree you might have a hard time paying them back.
- There is a high level of competition, so you need to actively try to stand out among your peers to get an internship or even get into grad school.
Check the following references to read more about Strengths and Weaknesses of Studying Art History:
- Why Study Art History? (URL)
- What Do We Really Mean by Art? (URL)
- The Artist – Why Study Art History? (URL)
- Art History – Why Study Art History? (URL)
- Quora – What Are the Pros and Cons of Studying Art History in College? (URL)
- Caravaggista – What Are the Pros and Cons of an Art History Degree? (URL)
- Strengths and Weaknesses of Studying Art History
- The Use of New Scientific Knowledge in Creating Artistic Work
- Patrons of Art in the Renaissance Period
Articles with the “Netizen Me writers” byline are written by the netizenme.com writers team.